If you've ever plaited someone's hair, then this little project should be super easy. Finally something to put those hot dishes on at dinner time.
TO MAKE YOUR OWN YOU WILL NEED
3 Long Strips of Fabric (ours are about 4cm wide and 1-3metres long but you could also cut your own.)
A needle and thread.
Something to tie the plait to.
A pair of scissors.
1. Select your 3 fabrics. We have strips 4cm wide.
2. Make your lengths between 1 and 3 metres long. It's best to make them all slightly different lengths so it's easier to plait in a longer length later.
4. Tie all your lengths to something that doesn't move. A table leg, a door, or something like that.
4. Start to plait the lengths.
5. And keep on plaiting. Try and make sure the plait is as tight as you can. Try also to make sure you get the coloured right side of the fabric on top. Don't worry too much if a thread is coming out or it is not perfect; it will be by the time you are done.
6. Keep plaiting until you reach near the end of your first trim. Now you can either weave in a new part and carry on or move on to stage 7.
7. Tie the end with an elastic band so it can't go anywhere or unravel.
8. Cut the end where you first tied your plait to the post.
9. Keep hold of it and have a threaded needle ready. Stitch the end together.
10. Depending on if you want it to be oval or round in shape, tuck your end in.
If circular - tuck the end in and gently roll at the same time as stitching the end to the next 2 - 3cm's on the plait.
If oval - allow about 5cm, then bend and turn up. Then stitch between the two lines.
And there you have it! A home made Coil Mat!